Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Day 1: The Journey Begins

I woke up in the morning feeling excited and very much looking forward to the day, and the beginning of our 4 days holiday. I had been planning this vacation as far back as last December, and to be honest I had even been counting the days to this day. Now the day has arrived I just couldn’t contain my excitement.
The vacation promised to be a very exciting and memorable one. We were to stay in Kuala Terengganu (KT), Terengganu for a night’s stay, and later on moved to the next destination of our vacation at a beach resort in Cherating, Pahang. Wifey, Insyirah and I had been to Cherating on a vacation 2 years earlier and fond memories of the place had driven us to go there again. Only this time, we brought the whole of my clan along. As the saying goes, the more the merrier, and with Insyirah this time having Hannah as partner in crime, the vacation promised to be a good time.

Buckle up Abah, and drive safely! Insyirah is a picture of excitement and joy as we drive the car out of the house...

I started the long journey to KT at 10.30am. I had planned to start the journey as early as 7.30am, but was held back by some office work which I had to settle and e-mail to my boss before I could leave. Not knowing whether internet connection would be easily available at the places we would be staying, I wasn’t going to take any chances and made sure any pressing work commitments were completed and submitted before I started our journey to make sure that my vacation would be blissful and uninterrupted by office phone calls. It turned out that I still had to attend to certain matters of the office during my 4 days vacation, but nothing like the sort experienced by Robin Williams in the movie RV.

Scenic Drive

Blue sky all the way... the vacation started perfectly on a perfect day...

The drive to KT was smooth. Perhaps because we were traveling on a working day, traffic along the East Cost highway and later on the trunk road leading to KT was rather light. The view surrounding the highway was also rather scenic, and the sky was blue all the way to KT to complement the beautiful sceneries. The rest areas on the highway were also not as busy compared to the rest areas on the PLUS highway, and I could feel the tranquility which I had hoped to look forward to from the vacation as early as during the journey itself. Insyirah apparently enjoyed the scenic views as well. A couple of times long the way, she would wow in wonderment and made comments like, “wow, it’s beautiful” and “it’s amazing, I can’t believe it” again and again, drawing chuckles out of me and wifey. It hasn’t cease to amaze us the things that she has learnt to say...

Rest areas along the East Coast highway are rather desserted and quiet, so much different from the buzzing rest areas along the PLUS (north-south)highway...

We made a couple of stops along the way, an inevitable outcome given the 400 over km distance to be covered. We arrived at our final stop on the first day of the vacation, the Primula Beach Resort in KT close to 7pm, after over 8 hours of enjoyable drive and stopovers.
To infinity, and beyond! One of our stopovers, dropped by A&W restaurant in Chukai for lunch...

We didn’t get to do much upon arrival. Night time fell as soon as we arrived, and we had to suspend any plans of going to the beach, which Insyirah and Hannah had been looking forward to do all day. “I want to swim Abah” and “I want to go to the beach Abah”. Those were Insyirah’s requests as early as the morning we started on our journey. Wifey had bought her a set of new swimming suit and a pair of pink goggles for the vacation, and I can sense she’s been looking forward to donning them and swim at the pool and at the beach. I guess it had to wait till tomorrow... sorry sayang.

Dinner... and end of first day

Dad bought us dinner at the hotel that night. I was struggling choosing between the Penang Char Kuey Teow, which I had actually been thinking about while driving from KL that day, and the sizzling yee noodle. As is often the case, I changed my mind at the last minute and went for the sizzling noodle. It turned out to be a good decision and the noodle was delicious. I had a feeling my diet program was going to go out of the window these next couple of days...

No comments: